Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Samoosa, Potjiekos, Pap scenario

Me: Wow, I am the only Indian girl left in this company! There was “Mary” and “Jane” before (Not real names)
Person A: Yeah but Jane doesn’t really count
Me: Why?
Person A: Because she was too hot

I say Person A, because A stands for Asshole!

I do not think that there is any other way of looking at this. I believe, and correct me if I am wrong that he just said that if a girl is hot she is no longer Indian? Or that Indian girls are not hot.

And so my friends I experience round two of my experience with this person’s prejudice.

Previously it was comments about my religion. And I guess what stung most about that one was when I was explaining that culture dictates why some Muslim Woman are suppressed and he made a snide comment like I was making excuses. But the worse was when I said, “Some people judge me for being educated…..” before I finished my sentence he cut in to say: “You are????????”

I may be seething mad but at the same time I feel so helpless

There are so many stereotypes and assumptions about people and there is nothing that we can actually do to change their minds about things.

I call it the “Samoosa, Potjiekos, Pap scenario”. Everyone has a box that they like fit people into and they refuse to see beyond their own short sighted beliefs.

My first boyfriend was white, in fact he was half Afrikaans and half Scottish, and do you know what people use to ask him when he said he had an Indian girlfriend?
1. Doesn’t she smell like curry?
2. Does she know the Karma Sutra?

How special is that?

Needless to say things never worked out between us but I know what it feels like to be judged and looked down upon just for being different.

Getting married to a Muslim man has not helped the situation, because in some people’s eyes my parents have suppressed me and made me marry someone from the same religion.

These comments and judgments brings tears to my eyes, because how about I just love him so much that I want to put up with his shit and no one else’s for the rest of my life?

How about I love the way he smiles and that we can sit together for hours without talking and just be ok.

Or that he was there when I came out of Anesthetic after my operation, and took care of me when I was in so much pain I couldn’t do anything but cry.

Or that he made me a wooden jewellery box with little doors and draws by hand, and it took him three weeks?

And what about the feeling I have inside whenever we look into each others eyes?

How about that?

How about they all don’t know me or anything about me?

How about just stopping the barriers?

How about just loving people who are different to you regardless?

Words are very powerful, people should be careful with them

No comments:

Post a Comment