Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Smug Married People

What I will miss most after I get married is being the voice for every single girl out there that is honestly happy with her life.

Recently a good friend of mine had her feathers ruffled by one of those smug married woman that insist on making the unmarried woman feel as if they somehow lacking.

It was similar to my encounter with Purdah girl but slightly more annoying.

You see my friend is currently completing her Master Degree in some fancy new law related thing that involves Telecommunications. She also has a beautiful spacious, two bedroom apartment on the beachfront and has a kick ass, high paying job. She also has good friends, a great guy, and a fantastic family.

She may not be perfect, after all she is just human and has her issues with life as anyone else, but she is happy with her lifestyle, and she certainly doesn’t feel as if she is lacking.

However, this smug girl she knows from high school calls her because she is town to ask her if she would like to go out for coffee.

My friend is always happy to keep in touch with people, so she agrees. This is when the smug girl starts asking her what she is doing, and with every answer my friend gives her, she replies: “Shame”

But apparently cooking for yourself and living by yourself is shameful!!!!!!

It’s like somehow cooking for her husband is much better and of course, living down the road from her parents, in the same Indian area she grew up in is the height of success.

My friend chatted to me after the encounter and said: “Why do married people always think we lacking?”

And immediately I was in full defense mode, until it dawned on me that I was getting married.

It was a bittersweet moment, I could no longer be apart of the single woman lib that had been my clique for so long.

While I love my Fiancé and I look forward to our life together, I will miss giving it back to the smug married people and even worse, the smug married people with kids.

Single girls are not lacking, they out having fun.

They spend their money on themselves and they never have to pick socks up from the floor or deal with snoring.

I am really going to miss being single, but I promise never to get smug.

No comments:

Post a Comment