Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tupperware

Today something strange happened

I requested a Tupperware Catalogue, and then I looked through it with much glee and enthusiasm, until I realized what I was doing.

I then froze and sat silently for a few seconds.

I looked down at my body, and everything looked intact.

I took out my mirror, checked my face……I really need to get my eyebrows shaped…..but everything is as it should.

I breathe a sigh of relief.

I had not morphed into a Samoosa Making Indian Aunty.

Then I closed the catalogue and did a few minutes of introspection.

It appears that no matter where you live, or what you experience, or how smart and posh you may think you are. All Indian woman will order expensive Tupperware Containers when getting married.

You see in an Indian household, there are usually too separate sets of plasticware.

There is the cheaper, bought in bulk, no name variety that you can store all you leftover food in. And there is always leftovers. These also work for any Masala, Marinades and spices.

Of course you should not forget the ones you use to freeze stuff. Indian woman prepare an assortment of food stuff and stick it in the deep freezer.

The deep freezer is also a must for an Indian woman. In fact they should just give you one when they give you your wedding ring.

Anyway, the second variety of plasticware is the original Tupperware. These pricey plastic beauties are very precious to an Indian Woman and are used mostly for cakes and biscuits.

If anyone dares to put food in it, they will suffer a long and excruciating death for the destroying Tupperware with curry……..

You also do not place the customary package of food that you present your guests with, when they leave an actual Tupperware container. In fact, this is why all butter and margarine containers are washed and kept, so that you can give your guest food to take home without loosing plasticware.

My mum keeps two separate cupboards for her differing plasticware. And this is when I realized: “Hey, I need some of these for my house”. So I e-mailed one of my friends that sells the stuff and asked for the catalogue.

We know where that lead……….

Not to go against the rules of Indianism. My Tupperware friend is married and has a son. It is like a private club for married woman.

I can’t believe that instead of buying the pair of black boots I want, I am going to “invest” in Tupperware.

You really can’t escape culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment