Monday, September 13, 2010

Zombie Girl Returns

So I am no longer a walking zombie

Eid has arrived and Ramadhaan is over. For those of you that do not know what Ramadhaan is, it is the holy month where all Muslim’s dry fast from sunrise to sunset for 30 days. Eid is the day that we celebrate the end of the fast by spending time with family and having a feast

It takes it toll, and I am back into my normal routine.

So this year Eid was an interesting experience, because it was my last fast with my family. It was very bittersweet.

Since there have been so many deaths this year, it is tradition for us to visit the funeral houses on Eid to pay your respects to the family. We were on our way to one such house when got stuck because a truck with a trailer that contained a small bull. I named him Patrick. Patrick was being dragged around by this truck with a smelly exhaust look really unhappy on his bumpy ride.

I got thinking while we drove very slowly behind poor Patrick the Bull. This is it for me, my life is about to change forever. I won’t be my daddy’s little girl every Eid and mess about with my brothers while getting done, and have my little bro in my room using the hair iron while we achieve awesome hairdo’s. Or my other brother coming to ask me if his jeans look ok with that shirt.

I will miss the banter. Patrick seemed to understand my pain because he was a baby bull being taken away from his parents and sent off to probably pro-create with some cow. So much pressure I tell you.

I am about to be a wife in 4 months. And I will not be able to hide behind my mum and dad anymore. And even when I do visit, it will not be my home any longer.

I will miss my family very much, but I am excited about being with my boo for a long time.

Patrick eventually took a turn, and we sped off to our destination, and my dad said something funny and I smiled because I knew that these moments were precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment