Monday, June 14, 2010

My Engagement

I always imagined that my formal engagement would be a small, simple and elegant affair.

I pictured a luncheon in our entertainment area that leads out to our beautiful pool area.

It would be intimate and fun.

Fat chance!

I forgot that I was Indian.

My Engagement took place in a hall in the Indian area that I came from.

When my parents first told me that they would like to have it there I panicked. I was afraid that somehow I slipping back into a world that completely foreign to me. Its like suddenly Indianville was taking over my life!

I actually cant say I had much control of my mind and emotions at the time. I told my mum that she could do whatever she wanted and I would give her the freedom to do what she wants.

The reason being was that I was not equipped for this, this was not what I wanted all my life.

I decided that even though it was far away, I would get dressed at home. I didn’t want to get done at someone else’s house. I wanted my hairdresser and a make up artist that I liked.

Tradition dictates that the bride and groom exchange gifts. They are not just gifts though, they are sort of gift baskets that are done all beautifully and set out on boards, with all sorts of decorations and covered in cellophane.

Our mothers agreed to do it at the engagement. I had no involvement in it because my mum asked my aunt to do it.

I was sad that she did not do it for me. She had done all my cousins gifts and made the most beautiful things I had ever seen. My aunt did a good job and I appreciated her hard work but I will always wish my mum had the time to it for me. She is my mother after all, and she is my whole world.

My Dad’s family really helped us out with the planning. They went above and beyond to make it beautiful. Especially my aunt that did the gifts.

While it was so strange to be thrown into Indian Culture again, I was also touched by how amazing my family was.

Looking back I am so glad that my parents did what they did and had such a beautiful event.

It was great fun! I felt like a princess and there is no more pomp that having 100 people there when you receive your engagement ring.

Who needs a candle lit dinner for two! We had the most posh event when we got engaged

Sometimes culture is not so bad

No comments:

Post a Comment