Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Announcement

I always pictured my life a little differently when all this would happen,

But I think that is because I watch way too much TV, you know where you announce that you are getting married and everyone gets all excited and tells you how amazing it is.

The reaction that I received was slightly different. My friends were naturally happy for me, I guess because they know me,

My work colleagues kind of upset me the most, because I got one of three reactions:
1 - Is the guy rich?
2 - Is it an arranged marriage?
3 - Are you pregnant?

Granted, I had never mentioned said guy before to anyone, but that is because I decided to keep my private life private. And what's wrong with that? I mean how many people are actually friends with the people that they work with?

But it was the comments that led me to wonder what their assumptions were of me, my family and my community.

So I was a materialistic female from a supressed background with whore like tendencies.......I was kind of hurt.I mean, I didnt even get a congrats from most of them.

I realised that regardless of the fact that I was from a open minded family and that I had gone to a good school and a had a University degree, dress like them, talk like them, and go to the same places that they do. I was not one of them.

By them I mean - Not Indian and definately Not Muslim,

Regardless of who I was, suddenly people were asking if I was going to change the way I dress and whether I would carry on working, once I was married.

I was trying to figure it out in my head? Why would you assume I would be any different?

Why was being a certain religion and culture so bad? I mean, my parents are normal people. They just follow a belief, like everyone else.

I am not gonna suddenly wear a veil over my face and sit at home and pop out kids! I was still going to become an award winning director and win an oscar one day!

What upset me even more was the assumption about my future husband. I mean, they judge him without knowing him. Poor guy. He loves how I dress and he supports my career 100%. We just two kids who fell in love.

On the other side of the fence I had the family.

Oh yes, that was another expereince all together

Reactions were:
1 - Finally!
2- So nice, I knew she would find someone eventually
3 - See! Every pot has its lid
4 - We use to pray for her, we so happy she finally found someone

I was all like: so there was something wrong with me all this time? Who knew??

It was as if I had finally achieved something in my life.

No one reacted this way when I graduated? Or when my first show went on air? Or when I got promoted?

It was like I was finally ok.

As I said previously. Cold water. Ice Cold water poured all over me,

I can see the world as it is and its very sad,

Why all this fixation on marriage as some sort of major life changing event?

I thought it was a union of two people that loved each other, saying: "We in this for the long haul"

And so I realised, that I had many challenges ahead of me

No comments:

Post a Comment