Tuesday, June 1, 2010

How it all began

Once upon a time my parents packed up their belongings and moved away from the Indian Community into a more affluent suburb.

I was 12 years old at the time

15 years later I met an amazing man who asked me to marry him, I said yes.

Except...........

15 years is a long time period of time and I forgot all about Indian Culture. And Muslim Culture.

It is a weird combination at the best of times. I mean, they don't even know which is which anymore.

But let's just say that it had the same effect on me that one might feel whne standing a beautiful frozen pond looking out at the sunset and suddenly the ice cracks and you plunged into ice cold water.

You see I never really ever thought that it would be such a shock to the system. I had seen my family, visited my grandmother in the Indian Community we had once lived in. Attended all family functions etc. So I thought I was in tune with how it all worked. But in truth I was very much out of it.

So this is my story. Of my Indian Muslim Wedding and how I will survive it.

Because even if no one ever reads it, at least it will keep me sane

No comments:

Post a Comment